Friday, November 28, 2008

Various school activites

The past couple weeks we have had various activities at school and I just wanted to post a few pictures from the events. On the 14th, the boys school had a bonfire night along with fireworks. In England, normally the 5th of November is bonfire night to mark the day that a man named Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament and was caught and executed. So on bonfire night, they put a Guy Fawkes effigy on top of the bonfire and then have a fireworks display. Since the school party wasn't until the 14th, we really got lucky with the weather. The weekend before and after the 5th were horrible with rain and cold. The fireworks display was fantastic and the boys really enjoyed it. Last year, Blake did not like it at all.
We brought Max's best friend, William, with us as his Mum and Dad had to work. They own a couple Chinese restaurants and it is difficult for them to bring him to events. They are pretty strict about what he gets to eat so he LOVES coming to our house. We had pizza and sausages for dinner and he just kept eating...I think he just gets Chinese at home! We fixed him a s'more for dessert (with imported marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers - Thanks Grandma Naylon!) but he wasn't quite sure about those. When we got to the school, we bought them each a light saver sword and a bag of sweets...a very big bag! He was probably awake all night long because he was going to town on the sweets! At least my kids can handle their sugar! His mum may not let him ever come back!
You can see the bonfire in the back, but once again, another plea for a good camera!
Last year the picture was quite a bit different. Blake was buried into Daddy's coat trying not to hear the big bangs!

Blake is learning how to get himself ready all by himself, which is great when you aren't in a hurry! He is now wanting to help Max get dressed. I just thought this was adorable!

He is working so hard! Luckily he just wanted to do one of the buttons or we would still be waiting on him.

Next week is their school Christmas play. They are doing it for 3 mornings! Max is a knight (he was supposed to be Prince Charming but I don't think they had the right costume) and Blake is a Sheperd. I actually got his costume off of ebay...my first purchase! I needed to alter Max's costume and I really wish one of the grandmas was here! You all would have been laughing hysterically at me just trying to put safety pins in the right place. I wasn't even going to bother with a needle and thread but after an hour with the safety pins I should have just tried it or called on some friends! There will be more pics next week of the performance.

I really feel so blessed to be going to a school that allows prayer and talking about God in the classroom. They say prayers before snack time each day and have a Bible assembly each week. The schools in England are interested in making the children aware of all different religions, it isn't just our school. Last week Max was talking about Diwali which is celebrated by the Hindu religion. Most of the Christmas programs at the schools will focus on the birth of Jesus.

Max is home sick today. He was up coughing until about 2:00am and finally fell to sleep. Daddy has had a cough for over a week and finally went to the Dr with Max yesterday and both got antibiotics. It is almost time to go get Blake from school. I wasn't planning to take him either but he really wanted to go. Daddy didn't have an early meeting so he took Blake. That was so exciting for both of them! There is an Advent Fair at school that I was supposed to help with today. Santa is even coming! We might stop in for a bit just to see him.

1 comment:

The Roeschley's said...

Oh my Gosh, I miss you handsome little boys. Seriously, so cute.